Compiled by Fr. William Harmless, S.J.
With special emphasis for books in the collection of Byrne Library,
Spring Hill College
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Calvin & the International Reformation
1. John Calvin: Studies
2. John Calvin: Texts
3. The English Reformation
4. The International Reformation
- Alister McGrath, A Life of John Calvin: A Study in the Shaping of Western Culture
(Cambridge, MA: Blackwell, 1990) NEW in paperback, $20. A fine study of Calvin and of the
movement he started. Start here.
- T.H.L. Parker, Calvin: An Introduction to His Thought (Nashville: Westminster
John Knox, 1995) NEW in paperback, $18. A fine introduction to Calvins theology by
one of his best contemporary biographers. See also Parkers companion volume, John
Calvin: A Biography (Philadelphia: Westminster John Knox, 1976; reprint: Lion
Publishing), paperback, $8.
- William J. Bouwsma, John Calvin: a Sixteenth Century Portrait (New York: Oxford,
1988) paperback, $10. More a study of Calvins psyche and worldview than of his life
or theology; subtle but insightful.
- Alexandre Ganoczy, The Young Calvin, trans. David Foxgrover and Wade Provo
(Philadelphia: Westminster, 1987) out of print. This highly acclaimed study traces out
Calvins road to evangelical Christianity and to the reform in Geneva.
- Serene Jones, Calvin and the Rhetoric of Piety, Columbia Series in Reformed
Theology (Nashville: Westminster John Knox, 1995), hardcover, $18. NEW
- Kilian McDonnell, John Calvin, the Church, and the Eucharist (Princeton:
Princeton University Press, 1967).
- John T. McNeill, The History and Character of Calvinism (New York: Oxford
University Press, 1954) paperback, $12. Dated, but a classic study of the international
influence of Calvin.
- T.H.L. Parker, Calvins New Testament Commentaries, 2nd edition
(Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 1993), paperback, $18.
- T.H.L. Parker, Calvins Old Testament Commentaries (Louisville, KY;
Westminster John Knox, 1993), paperback, $18.
- T.H.L. Parker, Calvins Preaching (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox,
1992) paperback, $18.
- Andrew Pettegree, Alastair Duke, & Gillian Lewis, ed., Calvinism in Europe
(New York: Cambridge University Press, 199_ ) hardcover, $60.
- W. Stanford Reid, John Calvin: His Influence in the Western World (Grand Rapids,
MI: Zondervan Publishing, 1982).
- Lucien Richard, The Spirituality of John Calvin (Atlanta: John Knox Press, 1975).
- David C. Steinmetz, Calvin in Context (New York: Oxford University Press, 1995),
hardcover, $45. NEW.
- Dennis E. Tamburello, Union With Christ : John Calvin and the Mysticism of St.
Bernard, Columbia Series in Reformed Theology (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox,
1994), hardcover, $19.
- François Wendel, Calvin: Origins and Development of His Religious Thought (New
York: Harper & Row, 1963; reprint: Durham: Labyrinth Press, 1987) paperback, $18.
Dated, but a classic one-volume treatment of Calvins thought.
- John T. McNeill, ed., Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2 vol.,
Library of Christian Classics (Nashville: Westminster John Knox, 1960) hardback, $40 for
the two volumes. The Institutes is the summa of Protestantism. And the translation
by Ford Lewis Battles is widely acclaimed as the standard.
- Wulfert DeGreef, Lyle D. Bierma, trans., The Writings of John Calvin : An
Introductory Guide (Baker Book House, 1993), paperback, $20.
- John Dillenberger, ed., John Calvin: Selections from His Writings (New York:
Anchor Books, 19__) paperback, $15. A fine anthology. It includes autobiographical
materials and letters, lengthy excerpts from the Institutes, ordinances from the
Geneva church, and the classic Short Treatise on the Lords Supper.
- John C. Olin, ed., A Reformation Debate: John Calvin and Jacopo Sadoleto (New
York: Harper & Row, 1966; reprint: Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1976) paperback,
$7. One of the classic confrontations: between Sadoleto, a Catholic reformer and bishop of
Geneva, and Calvin, the Protestant spokesman.
- J.K.S. Reid, ed., Calvin: Theological Treatises, Library of Christian Classics
(Philadelphia: Westminster, 19__) out of print.
- Joseph Haroutunian, ed., Calvin: Commentaries, Library of Christian Classics,
vol. 23 (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1958) out of print
- Arthur G. Dickens, The English Reformation, rev. ed. (University Park, PA:
Pennsylvania State University Press, 1991 / 1st edition, 1964) paperback, $21.
The classic survey of the English experience. A massive study, detailed and carefully
- G.R. Elton, Reform and Reformation: England, 1509-1558 (Cambridge, MA: Harvard
University, 19__) paperback, $20. An excellent, though detailed analysis of the twists and
turns of the English Reformation. Elton focuses especially on the intricacies of the legal
maneuvering of Cromwell and the Reformation Parliament.
- Eamon Duffy, The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England,
c.1400-c.1580 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1992) NEW in paperback, $18. Widely
acclaimed revisionist view.
- Gerald Bray, ed., Documents of the English Reformation (Minneapolis: Fortress
Press, 1994). NEW. A valuable collection of documents.
- David Daniell, William Tyndale: a Biography (New Haven: Yale University Press,
- G.R. Elton, Policy and Police: the Enforcement of the Reformation in the Age of
Thomas Cromwell (New York: Cambridge University Press, 19__).
- Ian Green, The Christians ABC: Catechisms and Catechizing in England
c.1530-1740 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1996) hardcover, NEW.
- John N. King, English Reformation Literature, the Tudor Origins of the Protestant
Tradition (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1986), hardcover, $80.
- Christopher Haigh, English Reformations: Religion, Politics, and Society under the
Tudors (New York: Oxford University Press, 19__) NEW in paperback, $20.
- Peter Marshall, The Catholic Priesthood and the English Reformation (Oxford:
Clarendon Press / Oxford University Press, 1994) hardcover, $55. NEW.
- James McConica, English Humanists and Reformation Politics under Henry VIII and
Edward VI (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1965).
- J.J. Scarisbrick, The Reformation and the English People (London: Blackwell,
1985) NEW in paperback, $20.
- J.J. Scarisbrick, Henry VIII (Berkeley: University of California, 19__)
paperback, $15. An exhaustive biography of the man whose dynastic anxieties (and thus many
wives) help spark the English reformation.
- Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic: Studies in Popular Belief in
Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century England, Scribners.
- Carl R. Trueman, Luthers Legacy: Salvation and English Reformers, 1525-1556
(New York: Oxford University Press, 1994) hardcover, $55.
- Barbara B. Diefendorf, Beneath the Cross: Catholics and Huguenots in Sixteenth
Century Paris (New York: Oxford University Press, 19__) NEW in paperback, $20.
- Frederic J. Baumgartner, France in the Sixteenth Century (St. Martins
Press, 1995), paperback, $19.